The Art of Pole Dancing: Rant and Rave

Sunday, February 6, 2011

So yesterday I finally had the opportunity to go to a pole dancing class!! I have to admit I am a sucker for strip clubs, not because I'm attracted females but because I am fascinated with the whole art of pole dancing. It is truly one of the most sensual, most seductive if not the sexiest of dances that a female can do. I feel like if you can dance on a pole you possess a certain kind of power to make men fall at your feet. And most importantly it just looks awesome! I have thought about purchasing a pole for my own residence and I've actually been doing some research. Ladies check out http://www.lilmynx.com/ if you ever thought about purchasing one of these contraptions. Excellent prices!


Anywhoo I found out about the class through my younger sister who attended last week ( I think I feel some type of way about my 17 year old sister attending a pole dancing class :-/) and I convinced my cousin Neesh to tag a long with me. The name of the class was Dakini pole dancing and Dakini is basically an art form of yoga thats integrated with the whole art of pole dancing. Its about relaxing, letting your body move freely, and as the instructor quoted "allowing your heart to float outside of your body as you exhale". Um I definitely didnt have an outerbody experience where I saw my heart floating and pumping in front of me but I was definitely relaxed and was able to allow my hands to "roam" my body. At that point we started learning how to walk towards the pole with a free flowing sexy walk. I gotta admit the walk she had us doing sucked. It looked like we were trying too hard to be sexy whereas being sexy is not something you should have to put effort into. Either your sexy or you're not. Period. So of course me being me I had to put my own twist into it, my "stank walk" if you will (any of my friends who have seen me walk in a pair of stilettos know exactly what Im referring to when I say "stank walk"). At that point we had to walk around the pole clutching it with one hand, walking lazily and letting our bodies move freely. And then came the actual tricks.

Let me just say that I have grown a newfound respect for strippers because twirling and climbing up on a pole is not by any means easy. Upper body strength definitely comes in handy when it comes to pole work and I severely lack upper body strength. I can barely carry heavy groceries up the steps let alone hang onto a stripper pole for dear life. So needless to say me trying to use my upper body strength while twirling on a pole was comical. But after awhile I stopped trying to be so technical about what I was doing and found a technique that worked for me. We even learned a floor routine (which I totally mastered) in conjuction with the actual pole trick.

In a nutshell the class was definitely fun and extremely entertaining. The instructor gave us a demo at the end of class and I was just staring in amazement like "wow". The studio actually has a 4 week pole dancing foundation course which Im seriously considering signing up for, I just have to see what my upcoming work schedule will be like before I commit to it. But it sounds fun, I'm bored and I most definitely need a new hobby. For those in the northern or central NJ area who are interested in the classes you can sign up at http://www.onyxmindbody.com/ the studio is in Warren, NJ and you can reserve your spot online for upcoming classes. Ladies if you're on a journey to weight loss, incorporating pole dancing with your diet and exercise program will definitely give you killer results. Not to mention it will take the boring ho-hum out of walking on a treadmill every day. On that note its Super Bowl Sunday and I need to start getting ready for the shindig at my uncles house. I'm rooting for Green Bay because I hate the Steelers, not to mention they beat my Jets (grrrrr). Happy twirling girls!
Kisses!!
Von

0 comments:

Post a Comment